El Charro Cafe Chiles Rellenos
(Stuffed Green Chiles)
Yield: 4 or 8 servings
- 8 fresh large green chiles (with stems intact, if possible)
- 1 pound Cheddar or jack cheese, shredded
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup oil
- 4 cups enchilada sauce, warmed
- 2 cups shredded combination cheese
- Stuff each chile with cheese and set aside.
- Separate eggs and beat the whites until stiff. Beat yolks and fold into whites, along with flour, salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet. Dip stuffed chiles, one at a time, into egg batter to coat, then remove with a large spoon. Carefully lower coated chiles into hot oil, 3 or 4 at a time. Fry until golden brown on both sides. The chiles may be made ahead to this point.
- To serve, immediately arrange on platter or individual plates and pour warm enchilada sauce over each chile.
- Garnish with more cheese and run under broiler to melt, if desired.
- May be held up to the point of topping with cheese and reheated in a 400 degrees F oven for about 10 minutes.
Chicken or tuna may be used to stuff the chiles, but cheese is always a garnish.