El Jarro's Roasted Poblano and Corn Soup
- 3 cups corn kernels (about 4 cobs corn if using fresh corn)
- 8 medium poblano chiles, roasted
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped chives
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature, cut into chunks
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 8 ounces chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon white pepper, or to taste
- Water, as needed to thin soup to desired consistency
- Salt, to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Remove silk from fresh corn, but leave husks attached. Wrap the cobs loosely
with the husks and place over hot coals or in a 450 degree F oven, turning as
needed, for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until cooked. (The process will be quicker
on an outdoor grill.) Let cool, remove the husks, then cut the kernels from
the cobs using a sharp knife.
- Meanwhile, place poblano chiles over a hot fire or under the broiler, turning
as needed until the skins are blackened. Remove from oven and place chiles in
a plastic or paper bag until cool, allowing the steam to loosen the skins. Remove
the stems, seeds and skins and discard; cut chiles into 1/4-inch cubes.
- Place half of the corn kernels and half of the chiles in a blender and puree
until smooth. Leave the remaining kernels whole. Proceed with recipe or refrigerate
corn and chiles until needed.
- Heat butter in a large pot. Add garlic and sauté briefly. Add red pepper
and chives and continue sauteing for 2 to 3 minutes more. Add reserved corn
and poblanos, the cream cheese, heavy cream, chicken broth and pepper. Bring
to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, whisking, until cream cheese has been incorporated.
Add water to thin the soup if desired. Season to taste with salt and add more
pepper if needed. (Soup can be made ahead, then cooled, covered, and refrigerated.
Reheat slowly, thinning with water if necessary.)
- To serve, pour into heated bowls and garnish with cilantro.
Yield: about 10 cups
Source: El Jarro's - San Antonio, Texas
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.