El Pollo Loco Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 (1 1/2 pound) roasted chickens, meat shredded, skin and bones discarded
- 2 quarts chicken broth, no salt or low sodium
- 1 corn cob, kernels cut from cob,
or 1/3 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 fresh poblano pepper, roasted and diced
cup fresh pico de gallo from El Pollo Loco or grocery store
- 1 cup carrots, small
- 1 cup celery, small dice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bag
corn tortilla strips, or make your own
- 8 corn tortillas cut into 1/4-inch strips
and fried in 2 cups corn oil for about 1 minute or until crispy and lightly browned.
- 1/2 cup queso cotija (Mexican cheese), grated
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped and thickest stems removed
- 2 avocados, sliced
into sixths and added to finished soup, optional
- Prepare chicken by skinning and slicing off the meat, then shredding. Place meat
in a 5-quart soup pot.
- Wash and dry the poblano pepper. Lightly cover with oil and roast under broiler,
turning so that all sides are charred. Right from oven, place poblano in a paper
bag, close the bag and allow the pepper to steam for a few minutes. Remove skin,
slice flesh and remove seeds. Dice into small pieces and place in soup pot.
the chicken broth to the pot and turn on heat to medium.
- Chop the carrots and celery
and add to the pot.
- Add the corn, pico de gallo and dried spices. Bring mixture
to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice and cilantro.
- Ladle hot soup into bowls and top with generous portion of tortilla strips.
with the grated cotija.
- Add avocado slices, if desired.
Nutritional information per serving: 522 cal., 31 g fat (6 g sat), 149 mg
chol., 10 g carb., 52 g pro., 1 g fiber, 939 mg sodium
Source: El Pollo Loco, Denver, Colorado