Fiddler's Green Irish Pub and Eatery Fish and Chips
- 1 1/2 quarts canola oil
- 4 cups all-purpose flour plus 2 cups for dredging
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 1/2 pints amber ale
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds cod fillets, trimmed and boned
- Chips (recipe follows)
- Remoulade (recipe follows)
- Lemon crowns
- 2 pounds Idaho baking potatoes, scrubbed thoroughly
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 3 ounces milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced red peppers
- 2 tablespoons minced green peppers
- 2 tablespoons minced yellow peppers
- 2 tablespoons minced red onions
- 2 tablespoons minced sweet gherkins
- 2 tablespoons minced dill pickles
- 1 teaspoon minced capers
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Dash lemon juice
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Dash hot sauce
- Salt and pepper
- In a deep pot, preheat the cooking oil to 345 degrees F.
- Fish: Thoroughly mix 4 cups of the flour, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1 teaspoon pepper,
1 teaspoon garlic, and 1 teaspoon onion. reserving 2 cups of mixture for dredging.
- Add beer to mixture, whisking to form lump-free, smooth batter. Batter should resemble
pancake batter - thick enough to coat fish well.
- Cut the fish into 3 to 4 ounce strips and pat dry using paper towels.
- Combine the remaining flour and seasoning to dredge the fish.
- Dip cod strips into reserved flour and remaining seasoning mix, coating completely.
Then dip breaded strips into batter, shaking off any excess. Gently place battered
fish strips into hot oil. Turn fish when batter is set and cook until golden brown,
approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from oil and drain well.
- Serve fish over chips with remoulade on the side. Garnish with lemon crown and
chopped parsley. Salt and malt vinegar to taste.
- Chips: In deep pot, preheat the oil to 275 degrees F.
- Cut potatoes lengthwise, about 1/2 x 1/2 x 3 inches. Soak in ice bath and rinse
thoroughly to remove starch from potatoes. Strain potatoes and dry thoroughly. Gently
place dried potatoes in hot oil, cook for approximately 3 to 4 minutes, until texture
is rubbery and potatoes are beginning to brown.
- Remove potatoes from oil and drain well.
- Turn oil temperature up to 360 degrees F. Once oil has reached 360 degrees F,
place blanched potatoes back into oil and cook until golden brown, approximately
6 to 8 minutes. Drain potatoes and season well. Hold in 200 degree F oven to keep
- Remoulade: Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and mix to a smooth
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Yield: 6 servings
Source: Fiddler's Green Irish Pub and Eatery, Atlanta, Georgia
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes