Geppetto Restaurant Pizza Bianca
- 1 1/2 envelopes dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup warm water
(105 to 115 degrees F)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups (or more) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 large shallot
- 4 large garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground pepper
- 1 pound
Fontina or Gruyere cheese, grated
- Sprinkle yeast and sugar over water in large bowl of heavy-duty mixer; stir to
dissolve. Add salt and mix to blend. Add 2 1/2 cups flour and oil and mix until
dough forms ball and cleans sides of bowl, adding more flour 1 tablespoon at a time
if necessary, about 5 minutes. Continue mixing until dough is smooth and elastic,
about 10 minutes.
- Cover dough and let stand in warm draft-free area 1 hour.
- Mix all remaining ingredients except cheese in processor until smooth, stopping
to scrape down sides of bowl, about 1 minute. (Sauce can be prepared 5 days ahead,
covered and refrigerated.)
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Pat each half into
a round. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Roll each round out on lightly floured surface into circle 1/8-inch thick. Transfer
to cake rack or any flat perforated pan. Spread with sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake on rack until edges of pizzas are lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
Source: Geppetto Restaurant, Washington, DC - Bon Appetit