Granny Annie's Deep-Fried Scones
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- Pinch of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup oil
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups, or more, all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep frying
- Butter, honey or jam, for topping
- In a large bowl, combine yeast, sugar and 1/2 cup water. Let the mixture sit until bubbly.
- Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, salt, eggs, milk, oil and an additional 2 cups water.
- Slowly add in enough flour to make a soft, not sticky dough.
- Cover and let rise until double in size, about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- In a large, deep pan or deep fryer, heat 1 to 2 inches of vegetable oil to 375 degrees F. (The oil should be deep enough so the dough will float.)
- Pull off a chunk of dough and stretch it into a flat disc about 8 inches in diameter and 1/4 inch thick. Place dough in hot oil. Deep fry until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn and cook on second side until golden.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Repeat process with remaining dough.
- Serve scones with butter, honey or jam.
Source: Granny Annie's Family Restaurant, Kaysville, Utah