Greenfield Village Hobo Bread
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups walnuts
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Pour boiling water over raisins; let cool.
- Stir in baking soda and other ingredients.
- Fill 6 or 7 greased and floured large soup cans to half full.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Cool and remove from cans.
Yield: 6 or 7 large loaves or 24 servings
Source: This recipe appeared in the Bellwether, a weekly newspaper for the staff
of Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes