Hamburger Hamlet Onion Soup Fondue
Yield: 12 servings
- 3/4 cup sweet real butter
- 4 to 6 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 quarts beef broth
- 1 teaspoon seasoned chicken stock base
- White pepper, to taste
- Round French or sourdough bread, sliced 1-inch thick
- Jack cheese slices, 1 ounce each
- Garlic toast
- In a large kettle, melt butter, add onions and sauté until transparent but not browned.
- Add beef broth and chicken base. Cover and simmer for 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove from heat and allow to stand overnight.
- The next day, remove and discard fat.
- Heat and season to taste with pepper.
- Meanwhile, lightly toast bread slices and top with 5-6 slices of jack cheese.
- Place soup in ovenproof individual serving dishes and top with bread slices.
- Place soup under broiler just until cheese bubbles and is soft but not browned.
- Serve with garlic toast on the side.
Posted by Gayle at Recipe Goldmine 12/1/2001 10:09 pm.
Source: highdesert.com 052301