Hamburger Hamlet Onion Soup Fondue
- 3/4 cup sweet real butter
- 4 to 6 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 quarts beef
- 1 teaspoon seasoned chicken stock base
- White pepper, to taste
French or sourdough bread, sliced 1-inch thick
- Jack cheese slices, 1 ounce each
- Garlic toast
- In a large kettle, melt butter, add onions and sauté until transparent but not
- Add beef broth and chicken base. Cover and simmer for 2-3 hours.
- Remove from heat and allow to stand overnight.
- The next day, remove and discard fat.
- Heat and season to taste with pepper.
- Meanwhile, lightly toast bread slices and top with 5-6 slices of jack cheese.
- Place soup in ovenproof individual serving dishes and top with bread slices.
soup under broiler just until cheese bubbles and is soft but not browned.
with garlic toast on the side.
Makes 12 servings.
Posted by Gayle at Recipe Goldmine 12/1/2001 10:09 pm.
Source: highdesert.com 052301