Hard Rock Cafe and Casino Native American Fry Bread
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered milk
- 3/4 to 1 cup warm water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a large bowl sift dry ingredients together. Slowly add water and mix by hand or with a large spoon, do not use electric mixer as this will over work your ingredients. After mixing let rest for 10 to 15 minutes. The dough should look a little wet.
- Put a small amount of flour on a work surface, a cutting board is recommended. Cut the dough into 4 equal pieces. With flour on your hand gently form a round ball, slowly knead the dough for a minute or so adding small amounts of flour as you do so.
- Form the dough into a disc shape and gently place in the oil. Fry until golden brown (1 to 2 minutes) on each side.
- Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel to remove the excess oil.
- Serve with butter and honey or with your favorite condiments.
Source: Chef Randall Cox, Hard Rock Cafe and Casino, Catoosa, Oklahoma