Harlequin Cafe Michigan Whitefish with
Blueberries and Blueberry Schnapps
- 2 (6 ounce) fillets Michigan whitefish, skinned and trimmed of fat
- Flour, to dredge fish
- 1 ounce vegetable oil
- 4 to 5 ounces fish stock or clam juice
- Pinch garlic
- Pinch shallots
- 1 ounce blueberry Schnapps
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 1 ounce fresh blueberries
- Skin and trim two whitefish fillets.
- Dredge the fillets on both sides in flour, shaking off any excess flour.
- Add the fillets, skin side up, to an oiled pan over
the top of the stove for approximately 20 to 30 seconds and flip them to the reverse
side, skin side down, for approximately 5 to 10 seconds.
- Remove fillets to an oven preheated to approximately 425 degrees F.
- Bake whitefish
for approximately 5 to 7 minutes, until fish is lightly golden brown.
- Remove fish to two separate plates and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine clam juice or fish stock, garlic, shallots,
Schnapps, butter, heavy whipping cream and blueberries. Cook until sauce comes to
a creamy consistency, with small bubbles on the surface, and coating the back of
- Spoon sauce over fish and serve immediately.
Yield: 2 servings
Per serving: 706 calories; 48.9 g fat (17.1 g saturated fat; 62 percent calories
from fat); 14.6 g carbohydrates; 206 mg cholesterol; 348 mg sodium; 43.6 g protein;
0.6 g fiber
Source: Sherman Sharpe, Harlequin Cafe, Detroit, Michigan