Harrigan's Black Magic Cake
This is a recipe that was in the September issue of Good Housekeeping, so I've
not made it yet.
This recipe is from Harrigan's in Lubbock, Texas. This heavenly cake needs
only powdered sugar on top.
- 1 cup butter or margarine, cut up
- 3/4 cup chocolate syrup
- 8 (2.05 ounce)
chocolate-covered caramel-and-nougat bars (Milky Way), cut
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large
eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease 12-cup Bundt pan.
- In 4-quart microwave-safe bowl, combine butter, syrup, and nougat bars. Heat
5 to 5 1/2 minutes on medium (50% power), whisking once. Whisk until smooth.
in sugar, then buttermilk, vanilla extract and eggs.
- Stir in the flour, cocoa, salt
and baking soda.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake for 1 hour 30 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted
in center comes out almost clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Loosen cake
from pan; invert onto rack to cool.
Prep time: 25 minutes plus cooling
Cook time: about 1 1/2 hours
Each serving: 375 calories, 5g protein, 57g carbohydrates, 16g total fat
(9g saturated), 2g fiber, 71mg cholesterol, and 295mg sodium
Submitted to Recipe Goldmine by Stephanie Gustafson.