Harry Caray's Restaurant Harry's Bruschetta
Yield: 4 servings
- 6 Beefsteak tomatoes
- 1/3 plus 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 (12 inch) loaf crusty Italian bread, cut into 3/4 inch slices
- 1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup julienned toasted red pepper
- 6 Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- To prepare the tomatoes, core them and score the top with an X.
- To blanch the tomatoes, place them in boiling water for 1 minute and then immediately transfer the tomatoes to an ice bath.
- Peel off the skins of the tomatoes, remove the seeds, and dice them into 3/4 inch pieces.
- In a medium bowl, toss the tomatoes, 1/3 cup of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, garlic, basil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour.
- In a small bowl combine the remaining olive oil and garlic. Brush the bread slices with the mixture and toast or grill them.
- Just prior to serving, warm the bread slices in the oven.
- Place the tomato mixture in the center of a large round platter.
- Arrange the bread slices around the tomatoes and garnish with the roasted red pepper and olives.
- Sprinkle the Parmigiano-Reggiano on top of the tomatoes and serve.