India Oven Kashmiri Naan
- 2 pounds (about 6 cups) all-purpose white flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1 cup maraschino cherries, well drained
- Dough: Use a sturdy mixer or mix by hand. Combine all ingredients and mix
until well combined.
- Add about 1 to 2 tablespoons of water and mix thoroughly.
Dough should be smooth and pliable, not sticky. Knead by machine or hand for
several minutes into a pizza-like dough, place in a large bowl, cover, and set
aside in a warm place for a few hours.
- Stuffing: If a meat grinder is available, process ingredients on fine setting
to produce a fine paste. Alternatively, add sugar and nuts to a food processor
and process until nuts are finely ground. Add cherries and process until mixture
forms a paste.
- To form Naan: Divide dough into 14 equal parts. Using your hand or a rolling
pin, roll a piece of the dough into a thin circle, approximately 6 inches in
diameter. Place some of the stuffing in the center of the circle, then fold
the edges of the dough up over the stuffing and pinch it together to enclose
the stuffing. Press with your hands to flatten the dough into a large 9-inch
- To cook: Heat broiler in oven to the highest possible temperature.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over very high heat until very hot. Slap a circle of dough
onto the skillet, then immediately place the skillet under the broiler. It will
puff up. Cook for approximately 5 to 6 minutes, or until the dough has turned
golden brown and is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven, wrap in clean napkin
and continue with the remaining pieces of dough.
- Serve hot.
Yield: 14 pieces
Source: San Antonio Express-News 05/30/2001
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.