Indian Lakes Resort Pasta e Fagioli Casserole
- 1 pound Italian sausage (mild or hot)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (19 ounce) can Romano or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper
- 5 cups penne pasta (1 pound)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 pound Fontina or provolone cheese, shredded
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch glass baking dish.
- Remove casings from sausage.
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook
sausage (crumbling with fork), onion, carrot, celery, garlic, oregano, basil
and hot pepper flakes until sausage is browned.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring
- Stir in beans, and salt and pepper to taste; cook for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta just until al
dente, about 8 minutes.
- Drain and combine with tomato mixture, half of the Parmesan
cheese and half of the parsley. Transfer to prepared dish. (If making ahead,
- Sprinkle with Fontina cheese and remaining Parmesan and parsley. (Pasta
can be prepared to this point, covered and refrigerated for up to 1 day or frozen
for up to 2 months.
- Thaw in refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before heating.)
- Bake, covered for 20 minutes; uncover and bake for 10-15 minutes or until
Nutrition values per serving: 453 calories, 29 g fat, 26 g carbohydrates,
3 g fiber, 22 g protein, 81 mg cholesterol, 811 mg sodium
Source: Chef Eric Kelly, Indian Lakes Resort, Bloomingdale, Illinois
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes