Iron Springs Cafe Caramel Apple Bread
Pudding with Brandy Cream Sauce
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 pinches salt, divided
- 1/4 cup Mexican brandy
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups brown sugar, divided
- 8 cups day-old French bread cubes
- 4 cups tart green apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- In a saucepan, bring heavy cream, vanilla extract, granulated sugar and
1 pinch salt to a boil; reduce by one-third.
- Add brandy.
- Place the bottom of the saucepan in an ice bath; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Combine eggs, milk, cinnamon, 1 pinch salt and 1 cup brown sugar; stir to
- Toss bread cubes with egg mixture. Push bread cubes under the liquid
to allow them to soak; let rest 15 minutes.
- Sauté apples in butter for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining brown sugar; cook until caramelized.
- Pour apples into a shallow baking dish.
- Pour bread mixture over apples.
- Melt remaining butter; drizzle over the bread mixture.
- Bake mixture in a 350 degrees F oven for 40 to 60 minutes or until set, brown and crunchy on top.
Source: Chef Tudie Frank-Johnson, Iron Springs Cafe, Phoenix, Arizona