Jack Stack Barbecue Mushroom Casserole
- 8 slices white bread
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup shredded
- Spread bread on both sides with 4 tablespoons of the butter.
- Cut 3 slices of
the bread into 1-inch cubes, reserving remaining bread.
- Arrange bread cubes in buttered
baking dish; set aside.
- Sauté mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet until most of the
liquid has evaporated. Spread mushrooms over bread cubes.
- Sauté onions, celery and green pepper in remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in
skillet until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Spread
over prepared layers.
- Cut 3 slices of the reserved bread into 1 -inch cubes; spread over vegetable
mixture. Pour mixture of milk and eggs over prepared layers. Chill for 1 hour or
- Spread soup over the top.
- Cut remaining 2 slices of reserved bread into 1-inch cubes;
sprinkle over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 50 minutes or until brown
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes longer.
Yield: 8 servings
Source: Jack Stack Barbecue, Kansas City, Missouri and Overland Park, Kansas