Jack Stack Barbecue Mushroom Casserole
- 8 slices white bread
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Spread bread on both sides with 4 tablespoons of the butter.
- Cut 3 slices of the bread into 1-inch cubes, reserving remaining bread.
- Arrange bread cubes in buttered baking dish; set aside.
- Sauté mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet until most of the
liquid has evaporated. Spread mushrooms over bread cubes.
- Sauté onions, celery and green pepper in remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in
skillet until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Spread over prepared layers.
- Cut 3 slices of the reserved bread into 1 -inch cubes; spread over vegetable
mixture. Pour mixture of milk and eggs over prepared layers. Chill for 1 hour or
- Spread soup over the top.
- Cut remaining 2 slices of reserved bread into 1-inch cubes;
sprinkle over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 50 minutes or until brown
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes longer.
Yield: 8 servings
Source: Jack Stack Barbecue, Kansas City, Missouri and Overland Park, Kansas
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.