Jack's Firehouse Grilled Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can country-style baked beans
- 2 peaches, sliced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Wash potatoes and pierce several times with a knife. Place potatoes on paper
towels and microwave on HIGH power for 10 minutes or until soft (see note).
- Cut eight 12-inch squares of heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Slice potatoes in half and scoop out a small portion of potato to make a narrow
boat, reserving the scooped-out potato. Place one potato half on each foil square.
- In a bowl, mix baked beans, peaches, onion, bacon and reserved sweet potato; season
to taste with salt and pepper. Place mixture in potato cavities, dividing evenly.
- Bring up top and bottom edges of foil around each potato half, leaving a little
space for steam expansion during cooking. Seal foil around potatoes, and place wrapped
potatoes on the grill.
- Cook for 20 minutes over indirect heat or until warm throughout.
Makes 8 servings.
To grill potatoes, as an alternative to microwaving, pierce potatoes with
a fork, wrap in foil and grill over medium heat for 1 hour.
Approximate values per serving: 166 calories, 2 g fat, 2 mg cholesterol,
7 g protein, 34 g carbohydrates, 7 g fiber, 438 mg sodium, 9 percent calories from
Source: Jack McDavid, chef-owner of Jack's Firehouse, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania