Jake's Dixie Roadhouse
Jalapeno and Cheddar Grits Cakes
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 7 ounces canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 4 or 5 ears fresh corn, boiled and kernels removed
- 6 cups chicken stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 14 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 10 fresh jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 6 cups white hominy grits
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese, grated
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Gravy: In a heavy saucepan, make a roux by heating the vegetable
oil over medium heat. Slowly add the flour, stirring constantly, for about 15 minutes
or until the mixture is chestnut colored. Add the garlic and stir 2 minutes more.
Add the chipotles and corn kernels. Bring 6 cups chicken stock to a boil and whisk
it into the roux. Add salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
- Grits: Grease a 12 x 12-inch pan with butter.
- In a large stock pot, bring chicken stock to a boil. Add the butter, jalapenos
and dry grits. Lower the heat to medium. Add the Cheddar cheese, stirring constantly.
Continue to stir until the grits are cooked and a spoon can stand up straight in
- Pour the grits into the prepared pan. Smooth the top with a spatula. Refrigerate
about 1 to 1 hours until fully cooled and solidified. Cut into 12 squares, then
cut each square into 2 triangles.
- Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a pan or deep fryer. Fry the grits cakes on
both sides until golden brown.
- Warm the gravy and serve the grits cakes with the gravy. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
Yield: 8 servings
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.