Janos Restaurant Exotic Mushroom Chilequiles
Janos is a well-known restaurant in Tucson, Arizona.
Red Chili Veloute
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon high gluten flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh crushed garlic
- 1/2 quart strong chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
Smoked Poblano Crema
- 2 smoked poblano chiles
- 1 cup sour cream
- 9 yellow corn tortillas, fried
- 3 portobello mushrooms, medium diced and sauteed
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomato
- 1 cup diced scallions
- 2 cups grated yellow cheddar cheese
- 1 cup diced red onion
- Red Chili Veloute: Make a medium dark roux with the oil and flour. When the roux
is cooked, whisk in the tomato paste, chili powder, and garlic. Using room temperature
chicken stock, begin to work the chicken stock into the roux adding a little at
a time until each addition is fully incorporated. Continue until all the chicken
stock has been added, then bring to a simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce is completely
incorporated. Strain the sauce through a fine mesh strainer. Adjust seasoning with
salt and pepper.
- Smoked Poblano Crema: In a blender puree all ingredients. Serve with Exotic Mushroom
- Chilequiles: Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Layer 3 tortillas in the bottom of a well-greased 9 x 12 x 2-inch casserole dish
and coarsely crush the tortillas leaving fairly large size pieces.
- Layer with 1/2
the sautéed mushrooms, 1/2 the tomatoes, and 1/2 the scallions, then sprinkle with
1/2 cup of Cheddar.
- Using your hands, compress the layers so that the ingredients are tightly packed.
Moisten layer with 1/2 cup of the veloute.
- Repeat the process with the tortillas,
mushrooms, tomatoes, scallions, and cheddar, again pressing firmly to tightly pack
- Crush the remaining tortillas on top, then moisten with remaining veloute and top with the remaining cheddar.
- Cover with parchment and aluminum foil and bake about 45 minutes, or until cooked
throughout and all cheese is melted.
- Cool and cut into individual servings.
Yield: 5 appetizer servings
Chorizo Chilequiles: Add 1 1/2 chorizo on the bottom 2 layers and delete
the scallions and tomatoes.
Posted by Tiffany at Recipe Goldmine 12/29/2001 9:07 pm.
Source: Recipe courtesy Janos Wilder
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes