Jerry's Cajun Cafe & Market
Louisiana Seafood Gumbo
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 4 cups flour
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 cups diced celery
- 2 cups diced bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cups chopped green onions
- 3 gallons water
- 1 pound fresh or frozen okra
- 1 (28 ounce) can Ro*Tel diced tomatoes or 2 (10 ounce) cans
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 ounces crab boil
- 8 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 8 dashes Louisiana hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 ounce Paul Prudhomme's Seafood Magic seasonings
- 1 ounce Cajun seasoning
- 1 ounce dried basil
- 1 ounce dried thyme
- 3 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp (70 to 90 count)
- 1 pound claw crab meat
- 2 whole crabs, cleaned and halved
- 1 pint fresh oysters
- 1 ounce file or to taste
- First, you make a roux. In large, heavy stock pot on medium heat, add 2 cups
vegetable oil and bring to temperature.
- Add flour gradually. It will sizzle when
it is at the right temperature. Using a whisk, stir roux constantly. Stir until
it reaches a peanut butter color. When it reaches the desired color, add the onions,
celery, bell pepper, garlic and 1 cup of green onions (in that order) until all
ingredients are cooked down or caramelized.
- Add water, okra, Ro*Tel tomatoes, seasonings and bring to boil. After it
reaches boiling, reduce heat to low and let simmer for at least an hour.
- Add seafood and continue to cook on medium heat for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and texture.
- Add file to thicken.
- Stir in the remaining green onions and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Serve as a soup with a little steamed rice.
Makes about 8 to 10 gallons of gumbo. Can cut recipe in half to reduce.
Source: Jerry's Cajun Cafe & Market - Pensacola, Florida
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes