Jicama Grill Tinga
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped chipotle chile in adobe sauce, or to taste
- 1 whole chicken, innards removed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pureed tomatoes
- 2 whole limes
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, minced
- Deep-fried corn tortilla strips for garnish
- In a stock pot or Dutch oven, heat oil until it shimmers.
- Add onion and cook,
stirring only occasionally, until onions are completely wilted and a golden brown
color (about 20 minutes). You may need to lower heat to keep onions from burning.
- Add pepper, salt and chipotle chile.
- Place chicken in pot; pour in enough water
to cover the chicken — water should be 1 inch above the top of the chicken. Cover,
and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium-low; simmer until chicken is cooked through
— about 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan; pick all the meat from the bones. Return meat to broth.
- Add pureed tomatoes, and warm through.
- Squeeze the juice from limes, and add to
pot with most of the cilantro; reserve a bit of cilantro to garnish each bowl.
- Garnish bowls additionally with deep-fried corn tortilla strips (or purchased tortilla chips).
Serves 4 to 8 (as either a main course or a side dish).
Source: Jicama Grill, Louisville, Kentucky
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.