KFC Extra Crispy Chicken
KFC uses pressure cookers to fry chicken, which is risky to do at home. If you
are using a deep fryer, fry a few pieces at a time for about 20 minutes, covered,
turning occasionally. Likewise, if pan frying, cook, covered, turning occasionally
for about 30 minutes. As always with chicken, check the middle of a large piece
to check for doneness. Allow to drain on paper towels when cooking is completed.
- 1 (2- to 3-pound) cut-up chicken
- 1 quart water
- 3 tablespoons salt (for
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon Accent (MSG)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Soybean oil (no substitutions) for
- Allow chicken to soak in salted water for 30 minutes.
- Mix egg and milk in a bowl.
- Mix flour, Accent, salt and pepper in another bowl.
- Heat deep fryer to 350 degrees F, or place 3/4 inch oil in a skillet over medium
- Dry chicken with paper towels.
- Dredge in flour mixture.
- Dip into milk-egg mixture,
then back into flour mixture.
- Do this one piece at a time making sure that there
is total coverage over entire surface of chicken in each step.