Kincaid's Burnt Cream
This takes a reliable broiler and a watchful eye (and a chef who's
willing to eat a mistake and start over, when necessary).
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the cream over low heat until bubbles form around the edge of the pan.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar together until thick, about three minutes.
- Gradually beat cream into egg yolks. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour mixture into six (6-ounce) custard cups.
- Place custard cups in baking pan that has about 1/2 inch water in the bottom.
- Bake until set, about 45 minutes.
- Remove custard cups from the water. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Sprinkle each custard with about 2 teaspoons of the sugar blend.
- Place on top rack under broiler. Cook until topping is medium brown.
- Chill before serving.
Posted by LladyRusty at Recipe Goldmine 2/22/2002 7:54 pm
Source: Minneapolis St. Paul magazine - from: Kincaid's