This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Kitts Cafe Hot Tamales
- 14 pounds ground chuck
- 4 pounds sausage
- 4 cups Crisco solid shortening
- 6 tablespoons garlic salt
- 1/2 cup Mexene
- 2 cups chili powder
- 2 cups paprika
- 1/2 cup cayenne pepper
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 5 to 7 pounds cornmeal
- 2 cups Crisco solid shortening
- Filling: Mix all ingredients for the filling together.
- Roll into egg-shape balls.
- Batter: Add enough very hot water (approximately 6 cups) until mixture will hold
together and be pliable.
- Put mixture around each ball of meat filling.
- Wrap in tamale paper or prepared corn husks, and steam for 45 minutes.
Yield: 15 to 20 dozen, depending on size
Source: Kitts Cafe, Knoxville, Tennessee