This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Kokkari Braised Lamb Shank
- 2 lamb hind shanks
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 rib celery, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 leek, roughly chopped
- 4 cups veal or lamb stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Salt, to taste
- Rub shanks with ground spices and marinate at least 12 hours.
- Brown shanks in oil; remove from pan.
- Add vegetables to pan; brown slightly.
- Add veal stock, tomato paste and honey; bring to boil.
- Add shanks, peppercorns, bay leaves, and cinnamon stick; cover and place in 375
degree F oven for at least 1 hour 45 minutes, or until meat is tender.
Yield: 4 servings
Posted by CookinMom at Recipe Goldmine May 29, 2001.
Source: Executive Chef Jean Alberti, Kokkari, San Francisco