This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Kung Pao King Chinese Cuisine
Honeyed Walnut Prawns
This is a very quick-to-make dish if the walnuts have been prepared ahead of
- 12 freshwater prawns, shelled (see note)
- 1 tablespoon vodka
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 beaten egg
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Vegetable oil as needed for frying
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 (6 to 8 ounce) bag shelled walnut halves
- Prawns: Rinse prawns with cold water. Pat dry and toss with vodka
and salt in a bowl. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Toss prawns first in egg, then in cornstarch.
- Allow to dry 5 minutes on a wire rack.
- Heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil in a high-sided pan to about 325 degrees.
- Add prawns and cook until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Set aside cooked prawns on paper towels to dry.
- Sauce: Combine mayonnaise, sweetened condensed milk and milk. Set aside.
- Glazed Walnuts: Place sugar and water into a pot over medium-high heat.
Stir until sugar no longer feels grainy and mixture forms a syrup.
- Add walnuts; reduce heat to low and stir. Cook, stirring often, about 15 minutes.
- Cool nuts on wax paper.
- To assemble dish: Toss prawns with sauce.
- Place on a platter and sprinkle with glazed walnuts to taste.
Serves 4 as an appetizer. Or serve with rice to make an entree for 2.
If you have leftover walnuts, they may be frozen, or eaten
as a sweet snack.
Posted by GayleL at Recipe Goldmine 9:14:07am 5/12/03.