Le Coq au Vin Chicken in Red Wine
- 2 (1 1/2- to 2-pound) chickens
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups Burgundy red wine
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 6 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 2 ounces smoked bacon, diced
- 12 pearl onions, cooked
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Quarter chickens, remove backbone. Cut wings off at second joint; debone breast.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Dredge in flour.
- Brown chicken in oil in batches. Remove chicken. Set on paper towels. Discard oil.
- In same skillet toss carrots, onions, garlic for 2 minutes.
- Deglaze with wine, add tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce by half.
- Put legs in a saucepan. Add stock and reduced wine stock. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add breasts. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken.
- Reduce cooking stock by a third. Strain, pressing to extract as much liquid as possible. Pour over chicken.
- In skillet, brown bacon. Discard drippings.
- Toss mushrooms, onions and bacon on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Discard fat.
- Add mushrooms, onions and bacon to chicken in wine sauce. Stir gently.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition information per serving: Calories 749; Fat 35 ; Carbohydrate 10g;
Cholesterol 216mg; Sodium 442mg; Protein 71g
Posted by GayleL at Recipe Goldmine 7/8/01 9:34:39 pm
Source: orlandosentinel.com - Thought You'd Never Ask - March 15, 2001