Lemon Grass Sizzling Saigon Crepes
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 1/3 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, preferably Vietnamese Golden Bells brand
- 3 scallions, cut into thin rings
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 yellow onion, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 4 ounces pork shoulder or chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 12 medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 cups bean sprouts
- 2 cups sliced white mushrooms, lightly sautéed, drained
- Batter: Place the rice flour, coconut milk, water, turmeric, sugar,
salt, curry powder and scallions in a bowl and stir well to blend. Set aside.
- Filling: Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over high
heat. Add one-quarter each of the onion, the pork and the shrimp and stir until
fragrant, about 15 seconds.
- Whisk the batter well, and ladle about 2/3 cup into
the pan. Swirl so the batter completely covers the surface.
- Neatly pile about 1
cup bean sprouts and 1/2 cup mushroom on one side of the crepe, closer to the center
than the edge. Reduce the heat slightly, cover the pan and cook until the edges
pull away from the sides of the pan, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low. uncover
and cook until the crepe is crisp and chicken and shrimp are done, another 2 to
- Slip a spatula under the crepe to check on the bottom of the crepe. If
it's not brown, cook another minute or two.
- Lift the side of the crepe without the bean sprouts and mushrooms and fold it
over the covered side of the crepe. Using a spatula, gently slide the crepe onto
a large plate. Wipe the pan clean and make the remaining crepes in the same way.
Be sure to oil the pan before beginning the next crepe.
Source: Mai Pham, Lemon Grass, Sacramento, California