Levy Restaurant Signature Homemade Carrot Cake
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 2/3 cups carrots, grated
- 1 1/3 cups walnuts
- 1 1/3 cups pineapple, crushed and drained
- 2/3 cup coconut flakes, sweetened
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 1/3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 2/3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 pound or 1/4 stick butter, unsalted, softened
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1 cup coconut flakes, toasted
- Grease 2 (10-inch) cake pans and set aside.
- Mix together in a large bowl the oil, sugar, eggs, carrots, nuts, pineapple,
coconut and raisins.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon
- Add the carrot mixture and blend. Pour the batter into the cake pans and
bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until done.
- Remove from oven and cool for 30 minutes.
- Release the cakes from the pans and
cool completely before cutting and frosting.
- Cut cakes in 3 equal layers (a total
of 6 layers). Assemble the carrot cake one layer at a time. Finish the carrot cake
with a layer of cream cheese frosting on top. Do not frost the side of the cake.
This gives the cake that special homemade country-style look. Garnish with toasted
walnuts and coconuts.
- Beat together the cream cheese, butter, and vegetable shortening for 15 minutes.
Mixture must be very smooth and light.
- Add the confectioners' sugar and the
vanilla extract and mix until smooth (about 3 minutes).
Posted by GayleL at Recipe Goldmine 7/9/01 6:15:26 am.
Source: Foodtv.com Show # SPBCSP01 - Recipe courtesy John McLean, Executive Chef,
Levy Restaurants Sports and Entertainment Group
>> RESTAURANT RECIPES
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.