Log Cabin Family Restaurant Italian Sausage Soup
- 1 1/4 pounds ground Italian sausage, broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 5 cups water
- About 1 1/4 pounds prepared pizza sauce
- 3/4 pound (about) canned diced tomatoes in juice
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 3/4 pound sliced button mushrooms
- 1 1/4 pounds cheese-filled tortellini, cooked (see note)
- Tomato juice or water to thin (optional
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In large soup pot, brown sausage with onions. When sausage is cooked through,
drain off all excess oil.
- Add water, pizza sauce, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning,
garlic, mushrooms and tortellini. Simmer over medium heat about 30 minutes, stirring
occasionally. If soup is too thick, add tomato juice or water to thin.
- Just before serving, place mozzarella cheese in bottom of bowl.
- Pour hot soup over top and garnish top with Parmesan.
Makes about 1 gallon.
For best results, use prepared pasta with mixed cheeses found in the refrigerated
section of your grocery store.
Source: Log Cabin Family Restaurant, Baraboo, Wisconsin
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes