Lovers Key Beach Club and Resort
- 3 cups skim or evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 5 eggs, 2 yolks and 3 whole eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur or cream sherry
Ingredients for Layering
- 2 cups angel, yellow or pound cake cubes
- 1 cup orange sections
- 1 cup chopped mango cubes
- 1 cup chopped papaya cubes
- 1 cup banana slices
- 1 cup whipped cream or reduced fat whipped topping
- Pour milk into a heavy saucepan and add orange zest.
- While milk is heating, combine
sugar and cornstarch, then add egg yolks and whole eggs; stir until mixture is combined
- When milk begins to boil, add egg mixture and whip. Cook over low heat
until custard mixture comes to a boil.
- Pour immediately into shallow container and
cover with plastic wrap directly on custard mixture to prevent forming a skin. Refrigerate.
- While custard is cooling prepare a syrup with water, sugar and orange zest. Cook
for 5 minutes.
- Cool and add liqueur or sherry.
- In a small trifle bowl or any glass bowl, begin layering ingredients.
- Brush bread cubes with syrup mixture.
- Add fruit and custard. For best results, refrigerate overnight.
- Top with whipped topping and serve.
Posted by LladyRusty at Recipe Goldmine 9:05:58 am 6/6/03.
Source: Lovers Key Beach Club & Resort, Fort Myers Beach, Florida