Ludger's Restaurant Beef Rouladen
- 4 to 8 ounces thin slices lean beef
- 1 dill pickle, sliced into quarters
- 4 slices bacon
- German mustard
- 1 small onion, sliced and sautéed
- Salt and pepper
- Place slice of beef on counter and spread with German mustard.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place strip of bacon lengthwise down the middle of the beef.
- Put approximately 2-3 tablespoons of sautéed onion at one end of beef.
- Place quarter of the pickle on top of onions.
- Roll up the beef and place seam side down in baking dish or pie pan.
- Place baking dish in 400 degrees F oven and bake until rouladen are brown on
top (about 10-15 minutes). Do not turn them over.
- Fill pan with enough water to cover rouladens, cover with lid. Lower temperature
to 350 degrees F and braise in the liquid until the rouladen is fork-tender, about
- Remove the rouladens and keep warm.
- Put liquid in saucepan and simmer until it reduces by half.
- Add a little flour, water, and mustard to thicken.
- Pour over beef rouladen and serve.
Source: Ludger Schultz, Ludger's Restaurant, Tulsa, Oklahoma