Lynn's Paradise Cafe
Old-Fashioned Macaroni and Cheese
Macaroni and Cheese
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, plus extra for preparing the baking pan
- 4 cups evaporated milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked al dente
- 1 1/4 pounds shredded extra sharp Cheddar cheese (preferably Vermont cheddar)
- 1/2 cup dry sourdough breadcrumbs (or other firm-textured white bread)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 to 3 grindings black pepper
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 13-inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together melted butter, evaporated milk, eggs, paprika,
salt and white pepper. Set aside.
- Make the crumb topping by mixing all ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Layer 1/3 of the cooked elbow macaroni in the prepared pan. Cover with 1/3 of
the shredded Cheddar.
- Repeat the layers twice more, ending with an even layer of cheese on top.
- Pour the evaporated milk mixture evenly over the entire casserole. With gloved hands, press lightly on the top so the ingredients are moistened by the milk.
- Bake for 30 minutes, covered with foil.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the top. Continue baking for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest at room temperature for 5 minutes before serving.
Serves 12 as a side.
Posted by GayleL at Recipe Goldmine 8:53:08am 5/7/03.