Mac Macque's Bar-B-Que Red Beans
- 16 ounces (1 pound) small red beans or red kidney beans
- 4 ounces canola oil
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 6 ounces tomato sauce
- Sort and wash beans in colander under cold running water. Place beans in a large
bowl with 9 cups of cold water and place in a refrigerator overnight.
- Drain beans and set aside.
- In a medium or large pot, heat oil and combine onions, celery, garlic, and bay
leaf. Stir for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add 7 cups of water along with remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and add
red beans. Simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours on low heat, until beans are tender.
- Salt to taste if needed.
For flavor, add your favorite sausage 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
This recipe is great with andouille or smoked sausages served over rice.
Source: Mac Macque's Bar-B-Que - Sacramento, California