Mader's Kartoffelklosse (Dumplings)
- 4 to 5 Idaho potatoes, washed (unpeeled)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups flour, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- White pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely diced
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender to fork tines, then drain and cool.
- Next day, peel and grate potatoes.
- Add1 cup flour, eggs,
salt, pepper, onion, marjoram and chives. Blend with wooden spoon.
- Add enough of remaining half-cup flour to form dumpling mixture that will hold
together, making balls about size of an egg.
- Place dumplings in boiling water to cover. Return water to full boil, then reduce
heat to simmer. Cook for 25 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through and float
to top of pot.
Makes about 8 servings.
Source: Mader's German Restaurant — Milwaukee, Wisconsin