Mader's Reuben Soup
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups beef stock
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 6 ounces corned beef, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 2 ounces Roux
- 1 pint half-and-half cream, heated until hot
- 1 cup pumpernickel or rye bread croutons
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Combine onion, celery, peppers and butter in 3-quart saucepan; cook until over
very low heat until softened.
- Add flour; cook a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add bay leaf and stocks; bring to boil. Reduce to simmer.
- Cut corned beef into julienne strips; add to soup.
- Add cheese and stir slowly until melted.
- Add sauerkraut, then roux. Let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add half-and-half and heat through.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with croutons.
- Roux: Melt butter in small saucepan. Blend in flour. Cook until bubbly, then
cook another 1 to 2 minutes, stirring.
6 to 8 servings.
Source: Mader's German Restaurant — Milwaukee, Wisconsin