- 3 cups red wine vinegar
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 medium onion, diced in large pieces
- 2 tablespoons pickling spice
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 (4 pound) beef sirloin roast
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 pound gingersnaps (depending on thickness desired)
- Mix vinegar, water, onion, pickling spice, salt and carrot in bowl. Pickle meat
in this brine in refrigerator for seven days, turning occasionally.
- When ready to cook, remove meat from brine. Save brine to make gravy later.
- Roast meat in roasting pan, uncovered, in 325 degree F oven for 1 1/2 hours or
until brown on both sides and almost done.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over meat and roast 5 to 10 minutes more, turning meat while
roasting, until sugar is dissolved and meat is browned.
- In medium-size saucepan, combine half of brine the meat was pickled in and any
drippings from roasting meat. To this mixture, add gingersnaps and cook until thick
- Serve over sliced meat and dumplings.
Makes about 8 servings.
Source: Mader's German Restaurant — Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes