Maggiano's Little Italy Salad
- Corn oil, for frying
- 4 ounces thinly slices prosciutto, cut into 2-inch squares
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons minced, fresh garlic
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pinch dried oregano
- 5 cups bite-size romaine lettuce
- 5 cups bite-size iceberg lettuce
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- In large, deep skillet, heat 1/2-inch corn oil. Add prosciutto and cook until
it turns dark brown and curls up on ends.
- Drain on paper towels. Cool and crumble into small bits.
- For dressing, in medium mixing bowl, combine mustard, sugar, water, garlic, vinegar
and salt. Whisk until combined.
- Whisk in oil in thin stream.
- Add pepper and oregano; whisk to combine.
- Adjust seasoning to taste, adding more sugar or garlic if necessary.
- Place lettuce, onion, cheese and prosciutto in large bowl; toss.
- Add enough dressing to lightly coat leaves; toss and serve immediately.
- Refrigerate extra dressing in airtight container for future use.
Yield: about 4 to 6 servings
Posted by GayleL at Recipe Goldmine 8:47:21am 5/7/03.