Maggiano's Little Italy Spiced Pear Crostada
- 2 or 3 fresh, ripe pears
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 small pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 pound pie dough
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Plating procedure: For the filling: Peel the pears and slice into 1/4-inch slices.
- Melt the butter until light brown in a medium hot saute pan and add the pear
slices. Simmer for a couple minutes until heated through and add the nutmeg, cinnamon,
and brown sugar. Continue to simmer until the juices thicken. Remove from the pan
- Take 4 ounces of the pie dough and roll out into a 9-inch circle, lightly dusting
with flour to prevent sticking.
- Place 1/2 cup of the pear filling in the center
of the dough circle. Gently fold the edges of the dough toward the center, forming 'pleats'
in the dough as you move around the edge. Leave the center of the crostada open
so that the filling shows. Repeat until the filling is used up.
- Chill the prepared crostadas before baking.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the tops of the crostadas with heavy cream.
Immediately sprinkle the crostadas with the granulated sugar so that the sugar sticks.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes until nice and brown.
- Serve while still warm alone, or with some vanilla ice cream.
Yield: 2 crostadas
Posted by GayleL at Recipe Goldmine 9:21:32am 5/12/03.