The Angel brothers of Muscatine, Iowa, would be proud. Their loose meat sandwich, dubbed a Maid Rite and first served in 1926, is still being served today. Comfort food at its best, this ground beef mixture seasoned with chopped onion and beef bouillon is served on pillow-soft rolls. It's stick-to-your-ribs great food.
- 2 pounds ground beef, finely ground
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon crystals
- 4 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat, about 5 minutes.
- Add onion and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle bouillon over meat mixture and enough water to barely cover meat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered, until water has cooked away, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in mustard and serve hot over hamburger buns.
Photo is the property of ©2007 Linda Jolly.