Maison Robert Pineapple with Caramel Sauce
Serve the pineapple with crepes. The sauce can be made ahead and warmed before serving.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 slices (about 1/2 inch thick) fresh pineapple
- In a medium-size heavy saucepan, cook sugar over low heat, shaking pan occasionally to move sugar around, until it dissolves and caramelizes to a golden orange color, about 7 to 9 minutes. Watch carefully and lower heat or temporarily remove from heat to prevent burning.
- Slowly add cream (caramel will harden), increase heat to medium and bring to a lively simmer. Cook and stir with a wooden spoon until the caramel dissolves and the sauce is smooth and thick, about 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 4 pineapple slices, or enough to fit in a single layer, and cook over medium-high heat until golden brown on both sides.
- Transfer to individual serving plates.
- Repeat with remaining pineapple.
- Spoon warm caramel sauce over top.
Source: Jacky Robert, dining room chef, Maison Robert, Boston, Massachusetts