Marie Callender Chicken Pot Pie
Here is a recipe for Marie Callender's chicken pot pie with a homemade crust, used with permission from Vollmer Public Relations for ConAgra Foods.
- 2 cups water
- 14 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and cubed (about 1 cup)
- 2 ribs celery, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 5 to 7 tablespoons cold water
- In a 4 quart saucepan combine water, chicken, carrots, celery and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken bouillon, pepper and butter.
- Dissolve cornstarch and flour into whipping cream and stir into chicken mixture. Simmer for 3 minutes stirring frequently until thickened.
- Add peas and set aside.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine flour and salt. Using pastry blender, cut in shortening until particles the size of small peas form. Sprinkle one tablespoon of water at a time over flour mixture and toss with fork to blend. Add enough water to hold the dough together. Form into 2 balls. Roll out bottom crust on floured surface to 1 inch larger than inverted 9 inch deep-dish pie plate. Lift dough off floured surface by rolling onto rolling pin and unroll over pie plate. Ease the dough into the plate loosely and press in place. Trim bottom crust even with edge of plate.
- To assemble: Pour filling into bottom crust. Roll out top crust, cut slits for steam to escape. Cover filling with top crust and fold top crust under bottom crust. Seal crust and flute edge.
- Bake in a 400 degrees F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and filling is ubbling.
- Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
The prep time does not include the 20-minute standing time after pie is baked.
Per serving: 724 cal.; 27g pro.; 47g carb.; 47g fat (21 sat., 18 monounsat., 8 polyunsat.); 126mg chol.; 680mg sod.; 3g fiber; 6g sugar; 59 percent calories from fat
Posted by GayleL at Recipe Goldmine 9:23:20am 5/12/03.