Marshall Field Individual Fallen Mocha Cakes
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter + extra for ramekins
- 8 ounces Coffee Frango chocolates, coarsely chopped
- 4 large eggs plus 1 large yolk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus extra for ramekins
- Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 400 degrees F. Generously butter and flour eight 6-ounce ramekins. Tap out excess flour and position ramekins on a shallow roasting pan, or baking sheet.
- Meanwhile melt 8 tablespoons butter and chocolates in a medium heat-proof bowl set over a pan of almost simmering water, stirring once or twice until smooth; remove from heat.
- Beat eggs, yolk, vanilla extract, salt and sugar at highest speed in a bowl of a standing mixer with the whisk attachment until volume almost triples, color is very light, and mixture drops from beaters in a smooth, thick stream, about 5 minutes. (Alternatively beat for 10 minutes using a handheld electric mixer and a large mixing bowl.)
- Scrape egg mixture over melted chocolate and butter; sprinkle flour over egg mixture.
- Gently fold egg and flour into chocolate until mixture is uniformly colored.
- Ladle or pour batter into prepared ramekins. (Can be covered lightly with plastic wrap and refrigerated up to 8 hours, return to room temperature before baking).
- Bake until the cakes have puffed about 1/2 inch above rims of ramekins, have a thin crust on top, and jiggle slightly at center when ramekins are shaken very gently; 12 to 13 minutes.
- Run a paring knife around inside edges of ramekins to loosen cakes and invert onto serving plates.
- Cool for 1 minute and lift off ramekins.
- Serve sprinkled with powdered sugar, whipped cream or ice cream if desired.
Source: Chef Elizabeth Brown, Marshall Field & Company