Martini Italian Bistro Mediterranean Pasta
Yield: 10 servings
- 2 pounds penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus salt to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 ounces sliced cremini (button) mushrooms
- 1 cup dried tomatoes, julienned
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- Pepper to taste
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled and divided
- 4 to 5 ounces fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped, about 2 cups lightly packed
- 1/2 cup roasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- Bring 3 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt to boil in a deep pot. Add penne and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes, or according to box directions.
- In a deep skillet or sauté pan, heat the olive oil until shimmery.
- Add the cremini mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they begin to soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the dried tomatoes and continue to sauté, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Add the minced garlic and continue to cook 1 to 2 minutes, until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add the white wine, bring it to a simmer and reduce by half. Once the wine has reduced, add the butter, a few chunks at a time, and stir to melt. Add a little salt and pepper to taste and stir.
- Add half the crumbled feta cheese, and continue to stir to soften the cheese and incorporate it into the sauce. When the cheese and butter have melted into the sauce, add the pasta and toss once or twice, then add in the fresh spinach and toss again to combine.
- Place in serving bowls, garnish with the remaining feta cheese, roasted pine nuts and parsley.
Per serving: 676 calories, 34 grams fat, 18 grams protein, 74 grams carbohydrate, 4 grams fiber, 380 milligrams sodium
Source: Martini Italian Bistro, Louisville, Kentucky