Max & Erma's Chicken Tortilla Soup
Thought I'd post the one claim to fame that I have in a clone. It's yummy, and oh so easy.
- 2 cans Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup
- 2 cans Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup
- 2 cans Campbell's Cream of Celery soup
- 2 cans Campbell's Cheddar Cheese soup
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup Pace medium picante salsa
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can Ortega green chiles
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red chile powder, more or less to your taste
- Salt and pepper to your taste
- 1/4 cup fresh, chopped cilantro
- 4 cooked chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
- 1 package flour tortillas
- 1/2 pound longhorn style Colby cheese
- In a large stockpot combine and whisk together until smooth all eight cans of soup.
- Add chicken broth.
- Add tomatoes, salsa, green chiles, onion, garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Bring all ingredients to a full boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add cilantro and chicken breast chunks. Simmer another hour.
- While soup is simmering, make your soup toppings: Cut flour tortillas into small thin strips and deep fry in hot oil until lightly browned. Shred cheese.
- To serve: Ladle soup into bowls, top with shredded cheese and fried tortilla strips. I double this recipe and use a 12 quart stockpot.
Posted by Sue Sullivan at Recipe Goldmine - May 18, 2001.