Meridian Cafe Portobello Mushroom Sandwich
Yield: 6 servings
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large portobello mushrooms (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning
- 12 slices crusty whole wheat bread
- 2/3 cup Ranch dressing
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup milk
- 12 thin tomato slices
- 6 thin slices Swiss cheese
- Red leaf lettuce, as desired
- Heat oil in a heavy, large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onions and Cajun and lemon pepper seasonings. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes. (The mushrooms will look wet.)
- Toast bread and top 6 slices with a few tablespoons of the mushroom mixture.
- Stir Ranch dressing, tahini and milk together in a small bowl until well blended to make a sauce.
- Pile each mushroom-covered slice with about 1 tablespoon of the sauce, two tomato slices, a piece of Swiss cheese and red leaf lettuce. Top each pile with another slice of toast.
Preparing ahead: You may sauté the mushrooms and mix the sauce ahead, then keep both in the refrigerator to make sandwiches as needed.
Source: Meridian Cafe, Louisville, Kentucky