Mesa Grill Ancho-Rubbed Game Hen
Yield: 2 servings
- 6 ancho chiles, dried
- 8 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- Ground salt and pepper
- 2 rock Cornish game hen breasts, skinned and boned
- 1 cup olive oil
- Place the ancho chiles in a large bowl, cover them with the boiling water, and soak them for 30 minutes to overnight.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Drain the chiles well, then remove and discard the seed and stems. Place the chilies in a blender with the garlic, salt and cilantro. Puree and set aside.
- Combine the cornmeal, curry powder, cumin, salt and pepper and spread in a jellyroll pan.
- Spread the hen breasts generously and evenly with the chili puree, then dredge them in the seasoned cornmeal.
- Place a large sauté pan or skillet over high heat, add the oil and heat until it begins to smoke. Add the hen breasts and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until the topping is crisp. Turn the breasts, cook the other side until crisp, then transfer the breasts to the preheated oven to cook another 5 minutes, or until opaque throughout.
Posted by philocrates at Recipe Goldmine 5/14/02 1:52:31 pm.
Source: Recipe by Bobby Flay, Mesa Grill