Miss Hulling's Chicken Pot Pie
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 (5 pound) stewing hen, cut up
- 5 cups water
- 1 small onion
- 2 ribs celery, cubed
- 2 carrots, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 recipe pastry
- 2 medium potatoes, cooked and cubed
- Simmer chicken in water with onion, celery, carrots and salt until tender (about 3 hours).
- Remove chicken from bones and cut into cubes, discarding the skin. Strain broth and measure, adding water to make 3 cups. Thicken broth with 4 tablespoons flour mixed with 1/4 cup water. Adjust seasonings with a dash of white pepper and more salt if necessary. Add chicken, carrots and potatoes.
- Spoon into 6 individual casserole dishes or a 2-quart casserole.
- Roll pastry about 1/4 inch thick and top the casserole, sealing the edges. Make several slashes in the pastry to allow the steam to escape.
- Bake in a hot oven (400 degrees F) for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Biscuit dough (rolled thin) or individual biscuits may be used for the topping. Frozen peas (defrosted) may also be added.
Source: Miss Hulling's Restaurant - St. Louis, Missouri