Miss Mary Bobo's Cream Cheese and
Wild Blueberry Pound Cake
- 6 3/4 ounces (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, slightly soft
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup wild blueberries (most stores carry frozen blueberries; don't let them thaw or the juices will streak the batter)
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spray an 8 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan with a nonstick coating.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt until well blended.
- With an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until very pale and little tails have formed.
- Sprinkle in the sugar and beat well until slightly fluffy. Scrape the sides of the bowl well.
- Add the eggs, one at time, beating until blended before adding the next egg.
- With the mixer on low, add the flour, vanilla extract and lemon zest, and mix until almost incorporated.
- Switch from the mixer to a stiff rubber spatula and mix until the batter is well blended and smooth, taking care
to scrape the bowl's bottom and sides. Gently fold in the berries.
- Scrape the batter into the loaf pan and bake in middle of the oven until the cake is golden brown and a wooden pick comes out with just a few crumbs clinging to it when inserted in the center (60 to 65 minutes if using fresh berries; 75 to 90 minutes if using frozen berries).
- Let the cake cool for 15 minutes and then invert the pan and lightly tap the bottom to release the cake.
- Cool completely on rack before serving.
Source: Lynne Tolley - Miss Mary Bobo's