Mississippi Mud Restaurant Molten Mud Puddle
Yield: 13 cakes
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 1 pound bittersweet chocolate
- 8 eggs (whole)
- 8 egg whites
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cocoa powder, as needed
- Unsalted, softened butter, as needed
- Melt chocolate and butter into a double boiler. Set aside and keep warm.
- Using a table top mixer, mix eggs, sugar and salt on medium speed until light in color and very thick (soft peaks).
- Slowly mix in chocolate and butter mixture into egg mixture and blend.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over batter and fold in.
- Before pouring into baking cups or muffin tins, rub inside with softened butter and sprinkle cocoa powder inside.
- Place approximately 5 ounces of batter into baking cups or muffin tins.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 425 degrees F. Cakes should have a soft and liquid center
Source: Mississippi Mud Restaurant, St. Paul, Minnesota